Meet USAIDthe social exhibit
Read and share stories about the game-changing solutions that are saving lives and creating opportunities
Music, Culture, and 50 Years of USAID Mali
- Filed Under:
- global health
- Sub-Saharan Africa
WHAT IS USAID’S MISSION IN MALI?
Mali and USAID have had a strong partnership for 50 years. A few major successes to highlight as a result of this partnership include:
- USAID introduced the Internet in Mali.
- In 1965, the Central Veterinary Laboratory was established which continues to produce vaccines for many countries throughout Africa.
- USAID-supported farmers’ cooperatives and restructuring of management in irrigated lands has helped Mali meet food demands, as its population has tripled over the past 50 years.
- Interactive radio instruction is now widespread, and education of girls a priority.
- Family planning services have increased as well as counseling services for HIV/AIDS patients.
- A community school system was established that greatly expanded access to Malian children
HOW DID THEY CELEBRATE USAID’s 50th?
Mali celebrated USAID’s 50th at the seventh annual “Festival sur le Niger;” an event attracting over 24,000 participants and held to promote sustainable development through tourism, music, and cultural exchanges. Browse through the photo gallery below see highlights from the event and learn more about USAID Mali’s 50th Anniversary celebration.